Pages

Friday 29 July 2011

Horrible, horrible day...

Ben woke twice in the night crying that his tooth was hurting, he finished the course of antibiotics two days ago so I was concerned and called the dentist this morning.
They said they could give him an emergency appointment at 11.30am and I thanked them and hung up. I rang my friend to arrange for her to look after the older two and  I then called the GP in the UK and arranged an appointment for next week when we're back home, I'm going to get him to blood test Ben, and we'll start to get some answers I hope.
I hung up on the receptionist and my phone rang again. The Dentist asking if I could come in with him straight away.
So off we trooped - all three boys and I - to the dentist.
We saw the senior dentist in charge of the practice and she called in the surgeon who happened to be there at the time, which was why they'd asked us to come in sooner rather than later.
I'm crying too much to write this now, so I'll be brief, his mouth is too small for them to be able to get the equipment in to fill his teeth, and the teeth are too far gone. How has this happened so quickly, it's not 4 months since they last painted them with some kind of sealant to slow the decay, they weren't like this then...
There are 4 that need to come out, two at the back and the 1st and 4th incisors. Possibly the 3rd too, if the surgeon can't fill it after all - or if it gets worse between now and the first date they can possibly do it - they've cancelled someone else to fit him in, on the 23rd August, in the mean time they've put antibiotic into the infected tooth and a filling on top to hold it.

I'm not sure I'll press Publish on this, I am so ashamed, my beautiful, smily, laughing baby. I asked what they thought was to blame, apparently it could be coeliac linked, could be because he had chicken pox at 12 months, could be because he was breast fed and fed to sleep until he was 25 months. My fault anyway, whichever it is.

4 comments:

  1. Not your fault. We all do the best we can, and that's all we can do. J had 3 fillings in Feb but they wanted to take them out. I refused to let them, so they filled them. They put the flouride sealant on hers too and she now has what also looks like another cavity developing.

    Maybe it's because she had chicken pox at 14 months, maybe it's because she ate too many raisins, maybe because she was fed to sleep until 2.5 years. Maybe it's genetic, as both her parents seem to have weak enamel. Whatever it is, there's no changing it now, so no point beating myself up (which I've already done). You shouldn't beat yourself up either. (((hug)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. My J wants to refuse, well to get a second opinion first, Ben's only 2, Sam is 5,5 and has just lost one deciduous, bottom tooth, the one alongside is wobbly, the others are still firm. Ben should have these teeth for years yet. Sorry sobbing again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can not and should not blame yourself. You do the things that you believe are right and best for your children. You know that bf is best if you are able to achieve it. You know that it was not your fault that B got chicken pox. You know that it is not your fault he has coeliac - even if it's in your side of the family, it does appear to be a luck of the draw type thing. This is NOT your fault. Here's hoping that when the next set of teeth come through that they are stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (hugs) You make the absolute best decisions you can, every single moment. You never take anything lightly and you are absolutely not to blame in any way. You'll continue to do the very best for your family, and help Ben through this.

    ReplyDelete