Pages

Wednesday 27 July 2011

I told you I had the days confused...

I messed up yesterday.
I had a text conversation with a friend about inviting her son over to play, it went a bit like this:

Me: We were wondering when we could have J over for the afternoon.
Her: Any day this week but Friday, he'd love it.
[Me, thinking: Hmm, I can't do Wednesday, because S's friend L is coming at 11.30 to play, I might be away Thursday...]
Me: How about tomorrow?
Her: Brilliant will drop him off,  around 12.45 and pick up at 6.
Me: Bring bathers we'll either go to the beach or turn the sprinklers on

Three hours later, I realise my mistake, it was Tuesday and tomorrow was (Today is) Wednesday!

So,  that was me, and 5 boys under 6, for 6 hours, 2 meals and a promise of water play....

Oh and L is dairy intolerant, and J is fussy, and my eldest is fussy too, only differently. Back to the "If they make it themselves..." plan

We picnicked on hummus, GF pitta and salad, and had sorbet for pudding.
Then we made pizza dough, one batch my regular way (Bread flour, yeast, water and OO) and the other with a pack of "Isabel's GF pizza dough mix" which I'd found in Waitrose, you added an egg and water and mixed then kneaded, then rolled it out, it was then ready to bake.
Now this was obviously less exciting than kneading the dough, watching it rise, knocking it back and then throwing it around, so I didn't tell the boys about that batch, I made it up, shaped the bases (it made 4x 20cm diameter bases) froze two (the instructions say you can then cook them from frozen).and part baked the other two. Then called the boys in from their game of "Star Wars pets and owners" - probably best not to ask - and got them involved in making the yeasty version.

We left it to rise and headed out to the park, there's a free bouncy castle at the Park cafe so I bought them all an ice cream/ ice lolly - what a nightmare! What is gluten doing in ice cream? Why is there a need for wheat in what is basically frozen custard???
Anyway, disasters averted they bounced, played football and ran around for a couple of hours.

We came back, they changed into bathers and I threw then into the garden with the sprinklers on. Much screaming, of the good kind.

Once dry they knocked back and shaped the dough and I part baked them and switched Ben's. After I called them back they added their choice of toppings, ham, pineapple, mushrooms, olives, cheese, some "not cheese" stuff, sweetcorn. I baked them while they went back to the "Star Wars Pets" game.

Do you know, they ate every, last mouthful.

And for pudding I gave them apples and then, gloriously Free from everything (except pink food dye I suspect), Pink Panther biscuits - which my boys call "Pink Bepanthen" biscuits.

And by 7.15 we'd played about 7 games of hide and seek and the extras were collected - phew.

1 comment:

  1. tried the "pizza" - jellified glue - he must have been very hungry.

    ReplyDelete